Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Christmas Tradition

Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the QC School of Design DIY contest.  I guess it ended a day early and I wasn't the winner.  No biggie (although I'm super competitive and winning is AWESOME).  Now to get on with life.  I want to share one of my favorite family traditions with you today.


I grew up in a teeny tiny town in Utah where I lived a hundred yards down the street from my grandparents.  Every Christmas Eve we would go to their house and have a family dinner and party with all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.  It was so much fun!  But it was always something my grandma worried about.  That's her to the left, by the way.  She always wanted everything perfect... and it was. She passed away just over a year ago so this Christmas will be the second one we'll spend without her.  I miss her so much and her Christmas Pie will live on with my family.
This Christmas Pie had nothing to do with food and everything to do with presents.  Grandma would buy small gifts for every grandchild according to gender and have them wrapped by Christmas Eve.  Then she would tie either a blue or pink string to them (depending on if they were boy or girl gifts), put them in a basket and cover the basket with a cute Christmas towel. 
We were always excited when it came time to do the Christmas Pie.  Every kid would get around the pie and grab a string.  When grandma said it was okay, we would simultaneously pull the string attached to a gift and that was the gift we got to unwrap that night -- Christmas Eve. When we all got a little older, she started buying gifts for us individually instead of just the gender and she would tape our names to the end of the string. This is one of the simplest, yet most memorable Christmas traditions in my family.  Now my cousins, siblings and I have moved away from home but every year we come together for our Christmas Eve party (which is now held at the town hall instead of Grandma's house) and we have the Christmas Pie for our kids.  This tradition will never die and it's something I'll do with my grandchildren too.

What are some of your family traditions?  If you've posted about them leave the link in the comments section!

6 comments:

  1. Boo. You should have won! On to the next one, right? I love this idea! We never had anything like it...we just stuffed our faces and made a LOT of noise! Merry Christmas, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that contest turned out to be a hoax anyway, as folks are finding out, Kelli. I think they should thank YOU for entering! Man, I wanna have the attention of YOUR fans and stuff to their "business" site. WOW! LOVE*LOVE*LOVE your style!

    Traditions: well, one I remember was driving all around business areas of town and seeing that nearly everything but gas stations closed (which was cool) and finally seeing church parking lots FILLED. (Christmas and Easter folks) How wonderful and they way it should be on a Holy Day.

    God Bless you, Kelli and family- have a great time on your family trip and thanks for sharing with us about your Christmas Pie game from Grammy. She sounds like a super sweet lady!

    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful tradition, I never heard of a Christmas pie before, but thanks for sharing with us. Have a great trip. We didn't have many traditions, but one was that Mom always hide all the goodies she made in the attic, on Christmas we would rush to the attic to see what was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, love that! That makes me want to blog about our Christmas traditions...perhaps I will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a fun tradition! I will have to remember that one.

    My favorite tradition we have with our kids is on Christmas Eve we open PJ's and a game and play it together that night. Then we read the story of the birth of Jesus before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun tradition! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...