Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Balanced Meals

When I learned how to lose weight (fat) the right way I had been out of school (college) for a couple of years.  It's funny because I majored in exercise science, a pre-med major at BYU, and really didn't learn anything about weight loss.  I went to the gym but mostly did only cardio.  I ate fat free food because that's what I learned in the 90's.  It wasn't until I got a job as an exercise and nutrition consultant that I figured it out.  I had been married for about 6 months and was at the highest weight I had ever been.  When I started working as a consultant I also started a nutrition and exercise plan that my boss made for me.  I went from 150 lbs and 30% body fat to 131 lbs and 20% body fat in 12 weeks.  But let me tell you.  I was strict.  I did everything that my boss told me to do and I got amazing results.

Because I spent 12 weeks eating perfectly proportioned and balanced meals, I learned what to eat and how much of it I can eat.  I'll be honest, I measured everything during that time and I often measure my food now.  I usually don't add up my calories for the entire day because I eat 5-7 meals and I just can't be bothered with that.  Instead I count the calories for each meal.  I know that if I stay between 200-400 calories I will hit my caloric goal.  For example, if I want to eat 1400 calories I can eat seven 200 calorie meals/snacks or one 400 calorie, two 300 calorie and two 200 calorie meals.  That way I only have to know the calorie count of what I'm eating at the time.  It works for me.

Here is a list of the food that I eat.  I make sure to have protein at every meal.  I usually have something from the carb list, and I try to have at least 3 from the green veggie list every day.  At breakfast I have a protein and two carbs (1 egg, 1 extra egg white, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 apple).  If I have a late night snack it is usually just a low fat protein (like an egg white omelet with stuff from the green veggie list).


Protein
Peanut Butter
Cottage Cheese
Greek Yogurt
Deli Meat
Jerky
String Cheese/Low Fat Mozzarella
Turkey Pepperoni
Nuts
Hummus
Eggs
Protein Bar
Chicken Breast



Carbs
Fruit -- Apples, Bananas, Berries, Oranges, Grapefruit, etc.
Low Carb Tortillas
Reduced Fat Wheat Thins
Pitas
Sara Lee 45 Calorie Whole Wheat Bread
Oatmeal
Quinoa
Brown Rice
Sweet Potato
Low Sugar Cereal


Green Veggies
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Kale
Celery
Broccoli
Green Pepper
Green Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...